Families take medicines and vitamins to feel well or stay well. Any kind of medicine or vitamin can cause harm if taken the wrong way, even medicine you buy without a prescription.
Up and Away and Out of Sight is an educational program to remind families of the importance of safe medicine storage. It is an initiative of PROTECT, in partnership with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Consumer Healthcare Products Association Educational Foundation, and other key organizations.
Take the pledge
Each year, more than 60,000 children end up in emergency departments because they got into medicines while their parent or caregiver was not looking. Together, we can work to keep our children safe. Please take this pledge to keep medicines up and away and out of sight in your home.
I pledge to:
- Pick a place high up and out of sight that my child cannot reach where I can safely store my medicines and vitamins.
- Always put every medicine and vitamin away every time I use it, including those I use every day.
- Always re-lock the safety cap on a medicine bottle.
- If the medicine has a locking cap that turns, I will twist it until I hear the click.
- Teach my children about medicine safety.
- Tell guests, friends, and family about medicine safety and ask when they visit my home to keep their medicines up and away and out of sight.
- Program my Poison Help center’s number in my phone: 800.222.1222.